It’s January which means it is a new year. Even though were just days into the month, it can be easy to forget our resolutions made before the clock hit midnight on December 31st. If your resolution is to eat healthier, you may find yourself fighting your sweet tooth cravings (especially after indulging during the holidays in December).
We have a great snack that can help you maintain your resolution to eat healthier, while satisfying your need for sweets. Take a look at this recipe for Lower Guilt Strawberry Cheesecake Cups.
The recipe was adapted from a recipe from skinnyms.com.
Strawberry Cheesecake Cups
If served in 3 ounce portions, these cheesecake cups clock in just under 140 calories!
1/2 cup fat-free cream cheese
2 tablespoons Coconut Palm Su
gar (or Granulated Sugar)
1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup strawberry preserves, no sugar added
1 cup diced strawberries
1/3 cup whole almonds (you can also use other nuts like pecans or hazelnuts).
4 dates, no sugar added
8 Mini Dessert Dishes, 3-4 ounces
1) In a medium mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, sugar, yogurt, and lemon juice. Beat with an electric mixer until the sugar is dissolved and the batter is smooth (about 3 minutes). Refrigerate until ready to use.
2) In a small bowl, combine the strawberry preserves and diced strawberries to make a naturally sweet strawberry compote.
3) Using a food processor, add almonds to the bowl and pulse. You want the almonds to become crumby so be careful not to over-process the almonds as they will turn into almond meal (flour). Add the dates and pulse a few times in the food processor until well combined.
4) Divide the almond and date mixture in two. Use one half to line the bottom of each dessert cup as a “crust”. Top the almond crust in each cup with the cheesecake mixture (again, divide it in half – you’ll need more for layering).
5) Spoon the strawberry compote on top of the cheesecake batter in the cups. Then create another layer of dessert starting first the almond mix, followed by the cheesecake, and finishing off with another scoop of strawberry compote.